Key West Cemetery
Key West's historic 1847 Cemetery is located in the "dead" center of Old Town, bounded by Angela, Margaret, Passover Lane (appropriately named), Frances and Olivia. The main entry gates open at the corner of Margaret and Angela streets.
In 1847 it was established at its current (and higher ground) location after an 1846 hurricane washed dead bodies from the earlier cemetery out of the coastal sand dunes on Whitehead Point near the West Martello Towers.
The Key West Cemetery is a 19-acre (77,000 m2) cemetery. It is estimated that as many as 100,000 people are buried there, many more than the 30,000 residents who currently live on the island. A stroll through this historic graveyard can tell as much about Key West's quirky character as any history lesson.
The graveyard is a spot illumined by time, tropics and history. Indeed it is somehow one of the most alive spots in Key West.
In 2005, the cemetery was among those profiled in the PBS documentary A Cemetery Special.